What could be making my cd-drive open and close on its own?

I have an HP computer, and for over a month now, the cd-drive opens and closes on its own, for no reason. It will do it for 5-10 minute time periods, then it will stop for sometimes up to a week or so, then start doing it again. Its very strange, almost like someone is sitting in front of it pushing the button over and over again. Is there some virus or program that could be doing this? I have tried disabling the drive...doesnt work. I even uninstalled it this morning, and its still doing it! The computer says its functioning properly, but this is obviously not right! Its driving me crazy, has anyone ever seen this before? Could there be a short in the drive or something? Thanks in advance!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Problems reading and writing CDs are common. In many cases, the problem cn be solved by checking the PC with free software, hardware modifications and cleaning the CD drive. I found the information at http://fixit.in/cdrdrive.html useful.

• 1 decade ago

That would be my guess, or the IDE ribbon cable could have a short in it.. Only way to tell if its the drive is to switch it out with a known good cdrom drive on the same channel in the same spot of the cable..

• 1 decade ago

Power down the computer. hold the drawer open. check the

inside rim where the drawer closes up against the cd rom

if you have a build up of dust or lint it will do that.

clean and try it out

• 1 decade ago

You remember if you install any new software program during that´t month?. if sow try to reset the utility of your PC to a few days back of that present moment to re-establish the system.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Have you tried messing with the "pinhole ejector"? Use a paperclip and push it in and out a few times just to make sure it's not stuck

• 1 decade ago

Had the same issue once. Got updated drivers for it & reinstalled the whole thing. Seemed to work fine after that.

• 1 decade ago

maybe itz broken or theres a ghost...........lol im playin it might be because itz broken or u open it 2 much

• 1 decade ago

um its normal so does mine

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.