Hypothetical "Who's to blame" scenario (US nuclear proliferation policy reversal)?

If the United States were to do an about-face and change their policies concerning foreign nuclear proliferation, would the US be ethically culpable if such nuclear devices were then used?

Let's say the United States “bends” to the will of the crazies and “allows” Iran to build their nukes… no sanctions, no nothing. Then lets say they deploy these nukes against a neighbor (let’s say Syria, after escalating from a draining conventional ware over the aspirations to be the dominant influence in the increasingly prosperous Iraq, for example). Damascus and Aleppo reduced to fiery ruin with tens of thousand dead with tens of thousand more deaths inevitable due to those succumbing to blast/flash wounds and leukemia.

Sometimes I feel we should allow the world to pick up the torch and play “World Police” for a while to deal with the ambitions of such countries as Iran-wipe-Israel-off-the-map and North-Korea-reunification-or-death.

• dane
    Favorite Answer

Oh, I found that a bit confusing, because US already had a nuclear proliferation policy reversal about its own nuclear arsenal.

USA of course should not stop pushing for a nuclear free world, however, perhaps our efforts would be more effective if we all teamed up and the US would join the Europeans in their softer approach.

After all, recently the only thing the US has done is to convince "rouge nations" that they actually NEED their nukes!

Our chum huge Mann once reported he replaced into threatened with the help of somewhat fellow once...he kept a watch on him, yet did not take him too heavily..we've some Nuclear subs off the coast at present, Air protection Artillery on alert in S. Korea, anti-missile warships close to the coast of Japan and stale Hawaii...might want to Kim launch a million missile in anger...that's going to likely be his very last.

The truth is that it doesn't matter what the USA says or does if any nation wants nuclear weapons they will get them. The technology to do this is well known around the world and there are those that will sell their knowledge and materials for the 40 pieces of silver.

N Korea sure can do it if they want even with all the other problems they have. Don't kid yourself nuclear weapons are not that difficult to get or make if a nation is determined.

I'm kinda with you Snowdog.

I am disgusted with the whole mess.

Logic tells me what we can't do. We can't become isolationists. Emotionally, I am drained. I am almost to the point where I couldn't care less what happens to anyone outside our own border.