How do you tarnish silver?

I have a shiny silver necklace that I'd like to tone-down, what could I do to speed up the tarnishing of it?

Favorite Answer

Bleach or softener salt will tarnigh silver quickly. Silver is all that I wear and I really tarnish the with these two if I forget to take them off before I clean or take a shower. The softener salt will probably be what you would want to use it gives the silver that antique look, I imagine that is what you are looking for.

You've already had some answers which indicate methods of tarnishing silver. Vinegar should do the job OK. But remember that a good jeweller will tarnish new silver then polish it lightly so that the high spots get polished and the rest remains black. Most impressive.

Clean and Polish Silver Extended exposure to air can tarnish your precious necklace. Remember hair sprays and other powder packs can also tarnish silver jewelry.

• WC

Just leave it outdoors for about a day, or two. The elements will tarnish it quickly.

Put it in a solution of water and a little DRANO. I mean it!! The DRANO will ad a layer of oxide to the silver over a few days, and that will do it for you.

BE SURE and rinse it well before wearing it!!

Put it in the dishwasher, that is how I tarnished my silverware by accident.

egg, mayonaise, or sulfur will tarnish silver quite quickly.

Handle it a lot with oily fingers.