what is the best way to keep students of middle school busy in their vacations.?

Favorite Answer

Kids need their playtime. As long as they don't spend their whole time in front of the computer or TV you should let them have fun. Let them play outside and do what they like to do. Kids these days have too many school assignments as it is. Unstructured playtime is very valuable to a childs development.

The vacations are not part of the school year. We shouldn't expect students to work on assignments during that time and we shouldn't be expected to provide school work for that time.

If a parent is requesting the teacher's advice about what the student can be doing during the holidays, you can suggest that this is an ideal time for the students to be getting together to socialize with each other. A certain amount of time each day can be set aside for reading. Don't forget to suggest that any gifts be acknowledged with thank you cards, notes and phone calls.

The same types of activities that were good for keeping students busy during the summer holidays can be used during the December break - only seasonally adjusted.

If parents' work schedules allow, they should take the opportunity to spend some time with their children and their children's friends.

School breaks are just that breaks. As I sit writing this I have, next to me, a stack of papers to grade which I have been putting off for the past 7 days. The reason for this is simple I work hard all semester and need a rest. The same applies to students, if they are challenged throughout the semester then they too deserve a break not more busy work.

It depends on what you teach. I agree that you shouldn't overload your students, but don't give them nothing to do-it leaves a void of empty time that could be used to further their learning.

In English you could send them home with a short story or two to read, and perhaps analyze. Tell them the class will be having a discussion when they get back from break. Or you could give them a small writing assignment due a few days after break-better yet a larger assignment due later on after break, but you're giving them break to start working on it.

In Social Studies/History you could send them home with the beginning of a research project...or tell them to think about a research project they might want to do in the future.

Science could involve a lab report or thinking up lab experiment ideas.

Math could give them a few review problems from the whole year to make sure they understand everything.

Some schools have such "encore" studies as art, music, foreign language class, and technology class. Depending on what the focus of art class is, you could send home the students with sketch assignments, or merely to think up ideas for an upcoming project. Foreign language homework could entail review, music could merely be memorizing something, and technology could be finding an article about some break-through technology and writing a short summary of it, then analyzing the information and making predictions about the success of the product, how long they think it will last, what will come next...etc.

I would encourage them to read something for fun. Even comic books are reading! Let them enjoy their break. Maybe you should let them invite a few friends over for movie night at their house. Just popcorn and movies are fun for young pre-teens! this doesn't require a lot of entertainment. they will enjoy just getting together and when they are at your house, you will get to know your child's friends and you know where they are and what they are doing at least! I never mind having my kids' friends over for movies or stuff like that. I love it!

give dem interactive projects..dis will keep dem busy runnin abt n doin constructiv work...n deyl enjoy it too...tell dem of latest happenings dey can catch up on in ur town/city wich might intyerest dem...deyr often nt informed of half da things happenin in town..

Lots of written question and answers, this way they learn, improve their handwriting and are kept busy.

Nothing let the kids be