Does anyone know if I can run a wireless router, off another wireless router?

Let me explain it like this, I have a wireless router installed, and working. However, it falls just a bit short of the range I need. Since I have another wireless router, that I'm not using, I wonder if I can plug into one of the open ports, on the existing router, with an Ethernet or IEEE 1394, and feed the other router, placing it in another location, therefore extending my range? Instead of having to buy a range extender, or repeter. It seems like it should work, but I'm concerned about "Ghost Signal" affecting the other wireless computers. So, what do you think? Will it work, or not? Let me know.

Favorite Answer

It will work without any problems if you can configure the second one as a Wireless Access Point. Some can do this, some can't. The DHCP server needs to be turned off. And you connect a LAN port of the second one to a LAN port on the first. Do NOT connect the WAN port of the second one to a LAN port of the first!

Trying to daisy-chain the WAN port of the second one to a LAN port on the first and using it as a router is possible but you MUST reconfigure the second one to use a different LAN subnet from the first one or NOTHING will work. In this configuration, any computer on the second router will be able to access machines on the first one, but ones on the first one will not be able to access machines on the second one as the routers also act as firewalls.

Lastly, the two routers must be configured to use different channels. Channel separation needs to be at least 3 channels; more is better.

In short, it's possible but you really need to know what you're doing; it's very much an advanced configuration.

Source(s): Network engineer
  • IanP

Yes, you're really just using it as an access point.

Some brands may not have that option, some may claim it but not work very well - or at all - so you might have to do some experimenting.

Points to watch - disable DHCP on the second unit... set the units to be on different channels, as far apart as you can... and use different subnets on each unit.

Set aside plenty of time to play with this, it can be a little fiddly... Have fun :-)

you in all risk can, yet why? - if your finding to boost your instantaneous coverage you would be extra constructive off going for a instantaneous repeater or utilising homelink(plugs that use your inner electrical energy cables to boost stressed out/instantaneous connections.