How can I bake my chocolate chip cookies so they come out thick, soft and chewy?

I use the basic toll house cookie recipe but they always want to flatten and don't end up soft.

Favorite Answer

Undercook them, let them cool, then pop them back in for a few minutes.

EDIT: I'm not sure how more cookie dough would result in anything but bigger cookies, but whatever... I guess these guys know from experience. My method works fine for me.

Try a recipe with shortening instead of butter. They will flatten less, and undercook them a little bit. They'll continue cooking for a few minutes when you remove them from the oven.

inorder to make them thick you have to put a heaping tablespoon. to make them soft use only brown suger and skip the granulated sugar completely. lets say it calls for 2/3 cup granulated and 2/3 brown sugar...skip the granulated and put two-2/3 cups of brown sugar. i do this all the time and not a single person eats em without complimenting me =). also, to make them chewey, underbake them for a minute or two take out the cookie sheet from the oven and let them sit in the pan for two minutes and then remove them and place them on a cooling rack. to keep them soft and chewey after they have cooled, place a piece of toast on the bottom of the cookie jar and layer cookies on top of it and put another slice of toast on top. replace the sllices of toast when they get hard. try this and i promise, you will have cookies that are to die for.

I add 1/2 cup more of flour and they are thicker and soft If I want them crispy I use 1/2 cup less of flour. When they start turning brown around the edges take them out and let them cool

you put more dough on than what they say to...and then you cook it for the minimum time and you let them set on a tray until they finish cooking/cool off... works every time...i always have chewy cookies....

Under-cook them. I usually only bake mine for 7 minutes.

cook them at 375 for 8 minutes. maybe alittle longer depending on the oven. or you can cream your shortning, eggs, sugar, vanilla a little longer and use butter flavored crisco.

more cookie dough! basic cooking 101!