Why do we put our hands on a bible in American Courtrooms? Why not use a copy of Mother Goose's fairy tales?

They are both fantasy books...right?

Favorite Answer

NO .. you're an idiot

Actually they don't make people swear on the Bible in courtrooms anymore, as well they shouldn't (and I'm a Christian) The Bible makes a mockery of the court laws.

Adultery - not illegal

Worshiping other Gods - perfectly fine

Skipping the Sabbath - perfectly fine

Coveting - Fine

Murder - Just be rich and fine

Besides, the Bible says not to swear, just let your yes be yes and your no be no. I love it when ancient literature out-does modern legalism and politics. The ancients knew better.

A) This is basically a Judeo-Christian country and the Bible is the oath book of choice among Jews and Christians.

B) The Commandment is: "Thous shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.", meaning that if you swear by His Name, you'd bloody well better be meaning what you say. And since the Bible is His holy book, swearing on it takes on a real depth of obligation for the swearee. Of course, the laws about perjury are there to back it up just in case you get an unbeliever on the stand, like you.

C) Don't know much do you? Most of Mother Goose is political commentary, NOT fantasy, as you would know if you'd ever studied English history.

exactly and it really doesnt mean anything these days because if your not a christian what is the point of swearing on something you dont believe in. its pointless i swear on the bible judge that i am not lieing to you when i tell you im an alien from the planet mars. well folks he swore on the bible he most be telling the truth right? thats just a bunch of bull sh*t and i think wuit against the constitution of this country. i say take the bible out of the court room it has no place there

• Kithy

When I served Jury Duty, not once did I see them do this. I was told by one of the Bailiffs that they had quit doing that several years ago. And this was about 5 yrs ago that I served. It's my understanding that a lot of that, swearing on the Bible in court, is mainly Hollywood now.

Actually that practice hasn't been done in a number of years. Nowadays the witness is just asked to raise their right hand and when they swear to "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth" they do not say "so help me God".

People do not put their hands on the Bible in any American courtroom that I've ever been in.

• Catmmo

I was just debating this with some friends of mine a couple days ago. Personally, I think it's a useless practice - an athiest swearing on a bible is as useful as a christian swearing on the mother goose book.

Here's an interesting article:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20...

Well I think the idea is that if the person believes the fairy tale they will feel compelled to tell the truth.

No,they're NOT both fantasy books. Placing your hand on a bible and swearing an oath is to compel you to use your conscience to tell the truth when testifying in court.

• RB

The Bible is the authoritative book of God. You can't appeal to higher power or authority.