Do I have to put up drywall first before I put paneling on my walls in the basement?

We have built walls in the basement and put plastic behind the walls coming from the concrete wall. Do we still need to put up drywall before putting up the paneling? I really don't want the drywall.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No put insulation between the studs and then install the paneling you can put up drywall first and it would help keep you warmer and help sound and bug proof the space but you do not have to.

• 1 decade ago

I would suggest using a good quality paneling, the cheaper, thin stuff will be wavy without backing. If you do go without backing, I would also suggest the wall be on 16 centers. Dont forget the insulation. Good Luck, and remember you can never have to many outlets, knows the time, later is a ///// well you know.

• 1 decade ago

Insulation goes in first between the studs, then the plastic vapor barrier, then the paneling. No need for dry wall, should be one or the other, not both.

• 1 decade ago

You don't have to, but, it make a good solid base as paneling is not very thick and can be flimsy.

Source(s): experience
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I had to refer to this site when I had problems with my drywall too.:-)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.