Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Can Iran unleash ?

Hell on the US if attacked, can they defeat the US? , are americans afraid of Iran?

Are they underestimated or not?

Update:

what about the basji's there tactic is to attack in waves .

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Iran has practically no chance of defeating the US in conventional warfare if they attacked. The Americans have got superior training, technology and mobility on their side. But the only two ways I can think of that Iran could retaliate and possible defeat the U.S are:

1. Dragging them into a long, and expensive guerilla war using guerilla tactics like the Viet Cong did.

DISADVANTAGES: This option can only be used if American troops actually invade. Also, being able to fully and effectively transition a conventional army into a guerrilla one in a short time is definitely not as easy as it sounds. It is a difficult process that requires time and money, as you would need to properly educate and train each and every individual soldier into the new style of warfare.

Alternately you can have a guerrilla army, already trained in guerrilla tactics alongside a conventional one, like the North Vietnamese did, incase you get overrun by superior forces. I think the Iranians have something similar to that.

2. Responding economically by stopping oil shipments and supply to the rest of the world.

DISADVANTAGES: If the U.S. was just attacking Iran, then shutting the oil-supply would provoke them into invading the country, and would be an open incentive for other countries to join them so that they can secure their own oil-supply.

Also, oil is one of the country’s biggest exports and shutting it would result in a financial crisis, so they won’t be able to sustain their retaliation for long (so i.e. it would be a short-term response).

And imposing an economic “sanction” on the rest of the world would be viewed as collective punishment and would lose precious public sympathy in the West, and increase support for those governments.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Iran is not underestimated. That's why the push to uphold nuclear non-proliferation. If your question is about a US invasion for a wargame, nobody does maneuver warfare like the US, but there's no reason in the world the US would want to invade. If we had to neutralize a nuke, for instance, it would take good intelligence, and if that were available a B2 could strike without anybody knowing until after the fact.

• 1 decade ago

Politically speaking Iran and all other oil rich countrys have us by the neck. As far as a military action goes most of their forces are like Iraq's, in the respect that most of them are conscripted as a part of national duty. So if we ever did happen to invade Iran, there is nothing really motivating them to fight back like in the American invasion of Iraq. Barring that they do develop militar nuclear capalities and assuming that they dont have other WMD's it will have the same outcome as we are experincing now. So its a win, lose situation we have with, Iran, if not the intire Middle east.

• 1 decade ago

No they can not. But they would not be as easy as Iraq. There would be some heated war. I'm living in Turkey which is a neighbor of Iran and I never want a war. I don't like Iran's regime and would love to see a democratic secular Iran but war sucks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If I were in charge of Iran, every oil tanker and all the oil facilities along the St. of Hormuz would be in trouble. If they kill oil shipments out of the whole region the world will rebel. They don't have to beat the US military to inflict a great deal of problems.

The DOW might be in the low couple of thousands after that settled.

• 1 decade ago

US Nuclear options and a superior military fighting force will never allow that to happen.....The USA has the technology to annihilate it's enemies better than any country in the world. Once we remove politics from the equation (like we did following 9/11), we will bomb our enemies back into the stone age.

But, thanks for asking.

• 1 decade ago

if you look at janes estimate of the quality of iran's military, it doesn't have a hope in a straight military face off. the iranian armed forces would be decimated. but america could not hope to occupy and hold iran in the face of determined insugency.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If Iran won't stop its nuclear program, it can get attacked by the U.S and the coalition forces !!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yes they will drop a large Persian rug over the whole usa and attack with flying carpets..... I am stocking up on carpet cleaner right now!

• 1 decade ago

I hope not, I'm in Kuwait right now and if this will happen, we will be busy at work supporting for war.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.