car trouble?

I have a 1998 Dodge Avenger and it seems to misfire at randon--when i'm idling or accelerating--i have already replaced the distributor coil and spark plugs, but the comp says it's fuel injector #5--so i bought a new one--now it says it's still #5 and #4--what is going on--Help!!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Can you physically hear the injector firing for that cylinder or cylinders? Do they sound the same as the others? Check the reference voltage to the injector, or use a noid light to pinpoint if the injectors are getting proper voltage, and ground. Are you missing a ground strap, and/or is it corroded and not making good contact with the engine to body ground? The computer only tells you in general, and does not mean that injector is bad. It means something on that injector circuit is not right. A random misfire is usually a grounding problem between the engine and the body, or your computer is going out. The sign of a bad computer is many random codes that make no sense. A bad pressure regulator may even be the fault. The only way to pinpoint this is to use a scan tool that has snap shot. This takes a picture of what was happening when the fault took place. Compare the data with a cylinder that you know is firing properly, and you will have the answer.

Glad I could help. Good Luck!!!

Source(s): Certified Master Mechanic, Shop Owner, 40 years experience
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Could be an ECU problem. Have you check the sensor that gets crank timing?

• 1 decade ago

check the rotor arm

• 1 decade ago

Did you put plug wires on it? You should have.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.