Did a tune up on a 88 S10 Blazer and now it won't turn over to start. Why?

I changed all 6 spark plugs, wires, distrbutor cap, pcv, oil filter, and oil.

Did not change the fuel filter cause to much gas was leaking out, didn't want to waist.

Battery is fairly new and has been charged but shows on dashboard gauge to be a little above 9.

Truck started just fine before I put my hands under the hood!

I'm very sure that I did not cross wires cause truck wants to turn over.

I'm stumped!

Some one please give me some light at the end of this hellish tunnel!

What do you guys think is wrong?

Favorite Answer

Make sure it's out of gear or in neutral.

there are various diverse motives it won't start up. even regardless of the indisputable fact that the lights furnishings come on and the engine turns over you nevertheless would have a foul battery. yet another element may well be you're no longer getting a spark. this may well be a pair of diverse motives. One is the distributor cap is worn, cracked or moisture go into it. you need to have a foul gasoline pump. I even have had that and it sound resembling what you assert. without extra tips that's troublesome to declare what's faulty. There are a 0.5 dozen or so different motives it won't start up that are no longer very common. Have a chum who's a McDaniel or immediately liable to troubleshoot it extra for you. figuring out to purchase factors and attempting them would be extra high priced than taking it to a save. in case you won't be able to discover every person with some awareness i'd advise taking it in to a mechanic. it ought to save you a great type of time and funds in the long-term.

You indicated that the volt guage is reading 9. If the engine turns at all, I would be quite surprised! The ideal voltage, for MOST cars, is 13.5 volts, however some will still work OK, at maybe 11.5 volts. If you have access to a DVOM (digital volt/ohm meter) I would check the voltage at the battery. If it reads anything more than 11.75 volts, and the engine turns hard, I would suggest that it was out of time. Perhaps you turned the distributor, while under the hood. If it doesn't turn at all, then there is a connection issue, between the battery, and the starter. Good luck.

Get a firing order list from a maint manual or call a chevy dealer maint shop for it. If that's correct, the only thing you changed that could affect starting in the Dist cap.. If it has it, check the center coil lead for a good contact. If it's an HEI, check to make sure you pluged in the power wire to the right terminal and ran the wires to the internal coil right.

Your question indicates you turn the key and the starter fails to turn.

Nothing you listed should have had this effect.

I assume the dash light turn on etc. just the started celluloid fails to engage?

Standard shift?

Lets assume that a new problem did not appear under the dash while you were under the hood.

The current must not be getting to the celluloid.

Run a jumper from the battery to the celluloid and touch it. If it reacts you screwed up the wiring to it.

If not it must have a problem.

I think you were listening to "I am not a mechanic" on the radio and drained the battery. If this is wrong you need to backtrack and figure out what you messed up. You need 12 volts to start Blazer. Good luck!

• i'm not a guy sweety.. but i think you should check your battery connections and make sure that there not rusty, get one of those battery termrial cleaners. make sure that your wires are connected right, if you have a mutli tester ( with the engine off ) check and see if your sparkplug wires are good, the fuse box is another place to check and check the main fuse from the battery see if thats ok. how come i know about these things??? i got big brothers who are car crazy ( i'm too haha) ciao honey

I would say it's a problem with your spark plugs, you need to remember the order you took them out in and put them back in the same place. I would say Im 95% sure thats whats wrong, if your sure you put them back in order than I have know idea.

• EZMZ

put the rotor back in and it will fire right up.