Is it an offence to ask for ....?

Chilli sauce?? i was in the states and i all i asked was chilli sauce for my pizza and they looked at me as if i grown another head??

your views please?

oh a weird request i guess.. haha well its a common thing back home thats why .. the pizza was so sour to much tomato paste..

Favorite Answer

Not really a common request but they should have been able to help you with what you wanted

I guess it depends on how you asked on whether or not it's an offence.

Don't forget that chili sauce means different products to different people. Also tastes are different in regions of North America. Maybe it's not the fashion there, so the restaurant may not stock it.

Lastly the person is a waiter or waitress. They may have been up on their feet for a long time, they may be real busy, it might be a second or third job for a single parent or they might just have gotten out of classes in university and are tired from carrying a full course load. Sometimes they aren't as polite as you'd like them to be or even act a little short, but it's not the best job in the world.

This is very funny, really. It is sometimes said that racism is just fear of someone else's culture. What you experienced was a kind of food racism. Pizza is thought to be an Italian food. Chili sauce is considered part of the Mexican food group. The idea of putting Mexican sauce on an Italian food would make some people shake their heads in non-understanding. However, rest assured that integration rules. "White pizza" is cheese and no sauce. Toppings such as cheddar cheese (cheddar is English) and hamburger (hamburger is originally German) are not uncommon. I've even had apple and white cheddar pizza. Enjoy.

I have no idea why they would do that... that's just weird... It's not even a cultural thing because pizza parlors do offer condiments like chili sauce right? Is it possible that these people have some sort of problem?

Don't worry about it too much ok? You didn't do anything wrong.

Closest thing to that which we use is chili peppers not sauce. No one uses sauce other than tomato sauce on pizza.

• Ted T

Anything doesn't taste the best I put chilli sauce on it. At least it is then edible. I wouldn't go to that shop again.

it's not offensive at all. pizza tastes so much better with chilli sauce..

You don't see many restaurants with chilli sauce for condiments.

So what mouth do you eat the strange pizza from?

I've never heard of that being an insult. It's not like you asked for ketchup to put on your steak.