Why does the pilot on my gas furnace keep turning off on my unit?

Favorite Answer

Usually that means its time to change the thermocoupler,its the coil looking thing that hangs over the actual pilot light,same thing happens to me ,I change every couple of years...Very easy to change.Buy it home depot or local plumbing supply.

I could not help laughing. I am a heating and cooling professional. In fact I teach heating and cooling for Vatterott College in Saint Louis. The purpose of the pilot light is to ignite the main burner on the furnace, only when there is a call for heat. There is a lot of debate as to whether or not you should keep it lit. Obviously turning it off during the summer months does lower your gas bill. I would guess you will save an average of 25 to 30 cents per month. I favor leaving it lit. For one thing it will produce enough heat to keep condensate from forming on the inside of your heat exchanger and causing it to rust, secondly you will not have to relight it every Fall. The fact that your air conditioner stopped working was nothing more than a coincidence. A heating system and an air conditioning system are two seperate systems. The only thing they share is the blower, the duct work, and the transformer.

Most likely you have a bad Thermocoupler, the heat from the pilot tells it by generation of an impulse signal to the Burner. That the Pilot is on before it sends gas to the burner. You can buy one at most hardware stores.

Usually there are two answers.

#1 Thermocouple.

#2 Bad heat exchanger.

Better pay the $60 for a pro to come have a look. You do have a carbon monoxide monitor in you home, don't you ?