Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 1 decade ago

In excel, how do I format a cell to divide by a certain number?

For example, I would want the values in cell A10 be divided by 5000. Thank you mates.

In this case, I need the cell formatted so that if I type a figure in that cell, A10, it automatically gets divided by 5000. In the suggestion =A10/5000 you lose the formulae and format if you type directly into the cell. This shouldn't happen in the scenarion I am looking for. Thanks once more.

Favorite Answer

Just enter the following formula in the cell:

=A10/5000

There are a couple options. One is to use VBA code like suggested in one of the responses. This would work, but there are a couple limitations that you need to be aware of. Firstly, if you add or delete rows before row 10, the code would not work properly, you would need to update the code to reflect the change. As well, the code can get into a loop because the update made by the code triggers the code as well.

I would suggest that you use a secondary cell to help you with this solution. Your data entry would be done in another cell, say A11, and the formula would be in cell A10. And then, protect cell A10 by locking it so that the formula does not get overwritten.

Another alternative would be to have the formula in cell A10, but any time you need to change it, double click cell A10 first, it will cause its current contents to appear in the data entry bar. Then overwrite the new value

Source(s): I am an Excel VBA programmer

This will divide cell A10 each time a number is entered

right click on sheet tab, select "view code"

then enter this.

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange (ByVal Target As Range)

If ActiveCell.Address = "$A$11" Then [a10] = [a10] / 5000

End Sub

= A10 / 5000

• T G

type '=sum(A10/5000)' the divide key is the frontslash under the question mark. Format the cell to handle 'numbers' presumably.

Just type:

=A10/5000

:-)