Will the law protect me against my employer?

I work for a small family owned company. The owner has done a terrible job at training new hires, then turns around and harasses me, the employee for not doing things the way they should be done. The way she handles it is to charge me money for every error I make, and talks down to me telling me I should remember something because it's costing them money and sarcastically saying she told me 3000 times and I still can't get it. She is past retirement age, and looks at me like I'm fresh out of school, too innocent to know better how I should be treated. Is there anything I can do legally other than leave?

Favorite Answer

If you work in the USA in the absence of a contract or established employee handbook or policy you are an employee at will. There are specific protections in law against discrimination: race, religion, age, national origin, whistleblowing, etc. Otherwise not.

Is your pay good enough that you want to stick around? Planning to file a lawsuit against your employer? Forget it, not worth it even if you win. My suggestion is for you to start looking for other work (don't resign yet until you have found one), and then go! You spend more hours in your workplace than in your home, so you better work in an environment that nourishes you, even if the pay is a little lower than what you are receiving now. Good Luck!

I worked in a similar environment. Now you see how things were done around 30-40 years ago in the work environment. What happened in my case was that others, such as temporary employment companies that she used, refused to serve her! It took their employees to complain and refuse to work at that employer's business! It is true that an At Will employment is in force in small business in the USA, at least some states.

• HK gal

Try to remind them first that there are certain laws that they should follow. If talking with them does not work, legal action is recommended.

legal action is needed