Why do people like being happy?

I'm doing a project on happiness and I found some research saying that although humans have six core emotions - happiness, sadness, surprise, disgust, anger, and fear - the only one that is a positive emotion is happiness. This made me start thinking: why do people like being happy? Is there any scientific basis to it? Or is it purely psychological or intuitive?

Favorite Answer

its natural to find all emotions a positive not just happiness

we must learn sadness and disgust and anger etc...it will make us stronger as a whole

people need to understand that

when they see kids crying they get all upset, let the kid cry, not in a mean way but we have to exercise our emotions and let them grow or we will all end up emotional infants.

i have to disagree, happiness is not the only positive emotion. Surprise, and fear can be positive.

Roller coasters.

Happiness is a RESULT of other emotions, i dont think its fair to list that as a core emotion.

Happiness is a lot easier on the mind and body than negative emotions.

Gosh, the answer to this question seems so self-evident. How can you be happy being unhappy?

It don't compute.

let me put to you this way:who wants to suffer on purpose? fun comes out of having true friends,liking the direction your life is going.... i wouldn't give that up to be fearful for my life and dread getting out of the house. enjoy those happy times! psychological is the reason.

There must be a scientific basis...chemicals that make you feel pleasure.

because confucius he say tis better to be rich, happy, healthy and good looking. than poor, sad, unhealthy and ugly.

i think its just what u like that makes u happy

It's all just chemicals to the brain that make us feel good.

well i think there's scientific reason behind it

depression is deadly