sparkplug asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

why do some cats massage a blanket they're about to sleep on with their two front paws?

my cat sometimes does this..mostly when there's a blanket on the bed..my cat also purrs while doing this.

Favorite Answer

Its called kneeding. When the cat is a kitten it kneeds the mother before it breastfeeds to get the milk to come down. Sometimes they countinue doing this out of habit, or because they were takin away from their mother to early. Both of my cats do it, and one is 4 years old, so its a habit that doesn't really stop.

It's a left over behaviour from their kitten hood. It's also speculated to be an inherited behaviour for survival. Kittens massage their mother's breast while feeding to help the milk flow. Since Mom is nice and warm and also a source food and affection, kittens are born blind, and can't see where all this good stuff is coming from. Like almost all animals, feeding time is followed by a nap.

So when you cat takes a nap he or she is just repeating instinctual behaviours learned as a kitten.

Cats do this as it reminds them of there mother and some cats carry on doing it throughout there life. My cat has the end of a feather duster, he claws it with his front paws and suckles it into little balls, he is happy & content whilst doing this, he is definitley remenising back to when he was a kitten with his mum.

My other cat sucks my 9 year olds ear & claws at his neck which is painfull sometimes for him, so he puts a scarf on lol.

To fluff/soften it up for more comfort. The practice is a carry over from their wild instinct survival living days. In the wild they would bunch up leaves, grass or scratch up dirt then walk around in a circle to even it out and then lay down. If it doesn't feel just right they would get up turn in another direction and lay down.

I believe that all 4 legged mammals do it. Dogs do it and Eskimo dogs do it in the soft snow.

Another tid bit of trivia. If you will notice, they (dogs & cats) will nearly always end up faceing the/an exit door. I have 4 dogs who all do it. I believe it is their survival/protective instinct.

It's a memory that cats have when they think of their mommies. It reminds them of when they were nursing and sometimes maybe they just want to be petted and loved on. They probably miss their kitten days. My cat does that all the time! And purring most likely means that they are content and happy!!!

This is instinctual behavior and leads back to a time when your cat was a kitten. Kittens massage their mum's belly gently with their claws to stimulate milk production. This behavior is a sign of pleasure and relaxation and tells you that you have a happy cat who feels like a contend kitten.

the cat has been taken away from it's mother too early and hasn't been weened . your cat is reminiscing about it's mum by Massaging the blanket.

he purrs cause he feels safe there and he is loved! the fluffing the blanket is to make it more comfy for him i have two kittens and they do that to my wifes coat when she leaves it on a chair when they want to lay down

I think they make their area more comfortable before they sleep. My cat does that too, I'm really not sure..

• Dashes

some people have told me its because the cat stopped breastfeeding from its mother too early (personaly i think this is total BS)