Why is it that we are so wrapped up in celebrities lives? Don't we have ourselves to focus on?

I'm so tired of hearing about who married who, who divorced who, who's sleeping with who, who made what last year!! I think this world would be in much better shape if we tended to our own back yards.

Favorite Answer

So don't come in to the "celebrity" catagory then!!!

• To sum it all up in a few words, and also because I certainly do not have all night to spend answering only one question, our lives as ordinary people are usually a lot more lackluster & uninspiring than those of celebrities so we tend to be more interested in what they get up to satisfy our inherent and innate curiosity more than anything.

Human beings are very curious & inquisitive by nature, that`s a proven fact.

Furthermore, most people seem to have this undeniable & unfulfilled void in their own lives where they feel the irrepressible & relentless need to idolize heroes in order to give a purpose to their own existence, this is especially true amongst the younger generation, i.e., teenagers for instance.

I am fully aware that we should all focus more on our own problems and preoccupations but sometimes we feel so overwhelmed by our daily grind that it just seems easier to forget our dull & boring existence for a little while at least and concentrate on someone else`s for a change.

Especially if this "someone" leads and maintains such a wonderfully glamourous lifestyle and makes the news & headlines on a daily or at least weekly basis!

We all need heroes at some point or another in our lives, if only to justify and validate our own, if anything!

Don`t you agree with me?

Take it easy & live and let live!

Happy Holidays!!!

Realistically, I think this is what people are doing. But, for the meantime, I think people read into those 'gossip columns' where they expose a celebrity (or two), and the problems they have, or whatever it is the media's so intrigued with, because "real" people, who read those things, look for ways to 'minimize' their own problems, by knowing there's someone out there (popular icon) who's going through something WORSE - and it may make them feel better.

This is my theory anyway. I think all the glam and headlines about other people are a way of 'distancing' ourselves from our own 'real lives', so as to find some connection.

Maybe it's a way to 'get out of touch with the real world' and climb onto someone else's world, to see what they're going through, as a celebrity.

It's easier to focus on someone else's problems or drama, then to view our own backyards, because we know 'we' don't have to deal with 'their' problems, directly. So, in reality, we're absorbing someone else's lives, that we have no communication with, and we can put our two-bits in, verbally, while we're reading up on the latest 'gossip', and it doesn't have an impact on our lives.

For some, they don't have such 'dramatic' or 'interesting lives' that they need to probe the lives that a lot of others are doing, and it makes them say, "Gawwd, and I thought I was having it rough!"...

• rosey

I totally agree with you. I think the reason people get so wrapped up in celebrities lives is so they can escape from their own life situations for a while.

• Jay S

It is even sicker to think about all the people that get paid top dollar to go seek out the latest gossip about celebrities, so fresh information can be told in rag magazines and those terrible tv shows.

I don't care too much about the celebrities personal life.

But I do fall in love with their characters in the movies...and that is how they become celebrities,

It is a form of escapism. We love heroes. Show me someone who don't fall for celebrities (and they are many of you out there)...and I'll show you a boring person with no imagination.

• ?

l still have a life. l just come across celebrities when l watch the news. lf l heard a gossip, well, bad things happen to everyone, not just to them.

l'm not as celebrity-crazed as the others. We should all be.

speak for yourself buddy. my life....who's got time. i'm at work now on break. i have my son, my home, my jobs, my sanity, my family to deal with. when do i have time to pay attention to other peoples lives and not focus on my own. but i hear ya though...it is sickning to hear about certain people. but then, when i think about it, i don't watch alot of tv. i read novels, i listen to the radio on my way to work, i talk on the phone with friends, and i play games online or come in here sometiems at work. anyways, enough analyzing my life online. breaks over

• David

I don't care too much about the celebrities personal life

but their sometimes they do dumb things

They have money and all we care about is money. That is why we pay so much attention to celebrities.

Dont come into the celeb catogory sweetie, and I think celebs are cool, most of them are really talented, I wanna be one!