Can I repay a bonus to get out of the navy early?

I enlisted for four years and added an extra year for a bonus. I have the money still and was wondering if they would allow me to pay it back and have the extra year taken off.

• Favorite Answer

Submit a special request chit and run it up the chain of command.

Or

Serve out your obligation. A year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you know what I mean.

Source(s): i have nothing stop reminding me

I submitted a chit to cancel my one year extension through my chain of command and they routed to bupers where it was approved. I had an enlistment bonus for signing up for The 5th year but as of yet I have not had to pay anything back. As of Nov 2005. I think it all depends on how manned your rating is and your commands overall readiness

• WC

No, you have signed an iron clad contract with the U.S. government, and there is NO backing out. Learn from this, before you sign anything else again.

• DOOM

it depends. The navy has gone through pretty significant change in the last few years. They probably won't let you do that, but if your rate is in a draw-down, they might.

• sharma

why not keep the money stay in service.

get a hold of some one dealing with your

contract and if you didnt sign conscioentious objector

(no go to war) then you wont go to iraq, that is

if you did mark that on your contract and if you havent been in combat yet.

its worth chekcing out.

• paki

no it doesnt work that way, once you sign the contract, your done the only way you could get out of it is getting involuntarily seperated, meaning OTH, Dishonorable, so otherwise just suck it up, 5 years isnt that bad

i doubt it. they probably don't need the money but they do need you, that's why they made the deal with you in the first place.

Nope, if its really that bad just go awol to mexico

Very unlikely...contact JAG for more info though.

• ?

I wouldn't. Stay in and do your time. In ten years you'll see what i mean...