are people born masochists?

or is it a need that is created later in life

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The counterpart of sadism is masochism, the sexual pleasure or gratification of having pain or suffering inflicted upon the self, often consisting of sexual fantasies or urges for being beaten, humiliated, bound, tortured, or otherwise made to suffer, either as an enhancement to or a substitute for sexual pleasure. The name is derived from the name of the 19th century author Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, known for his novel Venus in Furs that dealt with highly masochistic themes.

Pain, violence, sex and love all are associated with the release of a variety of hormones and chemicals within the human body. Furthermore, humans have been shown to exhibit sympathetic responses in their bodies while watching, hearing, or imagining such experiences.

Levels of sex hormone testosterone can be temporarily affected by one's role S&M interactions. Dominant participants often get raised testosterone levels; whereas submissive participants often get depressed testosterone levels.

Endorphins are released by pain experiences and can be perceived as pleasurable and possibly psychologically addictive. It is due to this same release of endorphins that people can become addicted to self harm. In this way, the acts of self harm and engaging in masochistic behavior can be similar in function though most would agree, not in causality.

Brain chemicals such as serotonin and melatonin can be affected by emotional or stressful experiences.

Epinephrine and norepinephrine are released during stressful or painful experiences, and can cause a pleasurable 'rush'.

The effects of S&M on body chemistry probably reinforce the behavior and therefore create psychological states that seek to further such behavior.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't believe that there's a "masochism" gene, if that's what you're saying.

I do, however, think that some people have personalities and a pyschosexual makeup that makes masochism fit perfectly for them, so they seem to be born masochists.

I also believe that it is a need that can be 'created later in life', but you can't really just start liking something without having a pyschological appreciation of it first, you know? Or if someone does, like perhaps those who experience abuse/rape when younger and want to re-enact such scenes in BDSM later, I wouldn't call them masochists, but rather people working through their own sexual issues (nothing wrong with that, of course).

Hope that helps.

• 4 years ago

Every detail of a persons personality is the result of everything that has happened in their life. Hence why people who are born rich are selfish cause they are used to getting what they want. Abused kids grow up to be emotionally disturbed. Those are basic examples. Most commonly masochistic people were neglected as a child or was raised around other masochists.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.