can i install an internal modem while the computer is on?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, do not do that under any circumstances. A Computer needs to be off when installing any internal hardware. Things like Modems are not Hot Swappable(that means you can plug and unplug them without damaging your system). Also Computers have alot of electricity running through them and you could zap yourself.

Source(s): I'm a computer technician for Gateway.
  • 1 decade ago

blood_drop is the most correct one. The reason you can't is a modem is considered a Serial item. It needs to be assigned an IRQ (pathway) by bios to communicate with the rest of the motherboard. The only time bios does this is when you turn on your computer. Hot-swappable things don't need irq's because they rely on other components that already have IRQ's. For the idiot who gave her a bad rating on her answer, FU!

• 1 decade ago

You could, but i wouldn't suggest it. Cuz you could get an electrical shock. My suggestion is to shut down the computer, and unplug everything including the power cord, then install the modem. If you have Windows XP, Windows will automatically detect and install the driver.

• jan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Why in the name of all that is good would you want to do that?

I 'spose you could. In the same sense that you could choose to pour chicken soup into your CD slot but it would be a silly thing to do.

Only install hardware when the PC is switched off.

///

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

ya defintly do not mess around in the computer while itsw on ull end up frying the computer and maybe worse hurting ur self

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.