Is it possible to carry the physical characteristics of Down Syndrome but not have the mental disability?

I'm not asking this to be inconsiderate and immature, but I am currently studying genetics and it popped into my head during class one day..

Favorite Answer

There is something in Down syndrome (and other genetic disorders) called mosaicism, where some of the body's cells have a normal number of chromosomes and others have the extra copy of the particular chromosome that is characteristic of the disorder. Mosaic Down syndrome patients typically have IQ's that are 10-30 points higher than those affected by the classic syndrome.

In the Neonatal ICU where I work, sometimes we see babies who 'look Downsy.' It's hard to tell at that stage whether the baby has Down syndrome or is just a funny looking baby. Combinations of certain physical findings can give it away though (cardiac defects, poor feeding, poor tone, etc).

• I am unsure of the correct answer and i cant be bothered searching online for it, from personal experience with Down Syndrome, i have a 6 yr old niece who has it *majorly*, her sister at 5 also has it but only slightly and she shows all the physical characteristics of down Syndrome, to further this i adopted their 2 year old baby, he has physcial characteristics, but is only classed *slightly*, where he will have slight Down Syndrome. Weird huh? Now their baby brother is 4 months old, he has neither the physcial characteristics, or Down Syndrome, AND ALL 4 children share the same parents.............

Source(s): *Deeply Disturbed*

yes.