Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Is this the onset of Alzheimer's?

I always have to wait for her to find her keys. She often (like once every time i see her) misplaces common words and she sometimes makes more than one plan at the same time and then has to change one. She's only in her late 20's so could this really be the onset of Alzheimer's? What else could it be?

Favorite Answer

There is a type of Alzheimer's that is early onset, but not THIS early. Your friend (or whoever, you never say) should go to her doctor and get checked out. Could be a vitamin deficiency or something bad, who knows, better to get it checked out and fixed then wonder.

Source(s): Alzheimer's Association: http://www.alz.org My Alzheimer's blog: http://alzheimersdad.blogspot.com

It sounds like plain old forgetfulness. I have that sometimes. Just because she misplaces her keys or schedules two things at the same time does not make her Alzheimer's material. Besides, she's a little young for that.

I attached a link to information about Alzheimer's for you to read. There's a lot of information available to people.

Source(s): http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/alzhei... me - a master's student in Clinical Psychology

Of course its not Alzheimer. God Forbid at the age of 20? 30? No way. I guess your friend or relative is simply suffering from the very popular syndrome of absent mindness. Many people are like that, they forget if they shut the door, took the egg of the gas, called their mom on her birthday etc. etc. There are various stages to this trait but unless they keep a very strict schedule with everything written down in a diary, not much can be done.

It could just be anxiety. The chances of this being alzheimer's at her age are sooooo slim that it's really not worth losing sleep over.

Sometimes it's a lifetime of people covering for her. I used to call my husband at work and ask where my keys were. He quit telling me and after I was late to an appointment, I learned to put them in the same place. Once she has to face some consequences, she'll straighten up.

No documented cases of such early onset of Alzheimers. Her behavior is consistent with lack of focus, lack of attention.

Alternatively, she may be a pot head.

It could be Alzheimer's---it's not unheard of in the 20s, though it's rare. It could also be brain tumor, chronic sleep deprivation, drugs, or a variety of other things. She needs to have a doctor evaluate her....it might just be general ditziness, though.

its a side effect of Bipolar disorder. Is she always in a rush? when she talks, does she stray to subject after subject and talk fast? When she's sitting still, does she seemed depressed or can she sit still? Does she have trouble sleeping? Is she really intelligent? Is there a certain trade she is good at? Does she go from happy to sad and sad to happy REALLY quick?

She needs to be checked out by her doctor to rule out any other kind of illnesses. Don't assume is Alzheimer's, have her checked.

I doubt this is Alzheimer's. At that age it's not very likely for someone to get it. It sounds like disorganisation to me!