Why is the American flag patch that soldiers and some law enforcement officers wear in reverse?

I work in a building with alot of military personnel and some law enforcment as well and they wear patches of the American flag on their uniforms. These patches are all in 'mirror' image. What is the signifigance of this?

Favorite Answer

This has been asked so many times I saved my answer which was derived from the government answer to the question. Many sharp-eyed civilians have noted an apparent oddity on the uniform sleeves of American military men: backward flag patches. Why is Old Glory flipped around like that?

Only the flag patches affixed to right shoulders of uniforms are reversed, so the blue field of stars faces forward. (Left shoulder patches aren't a problem, as the stars face forward without meddling.) The reversal was inspired by the age-old practice of carrying flags into battle. When fastened to a standard, the American flag's blue-and-white portion is always closest to the pole. A flag bearer rushing into the fray, then, would naturally lead with the stars. In fact, it would be virtually impossible to lead with the stripes-the flag would simply wilt and wrap around the pole, rather than waving triumphantly in the wind.

For a service man or women to lead with shoulder-borne stripes, then, might smack of cowardice and retreat, as if the totters were backpedaling away from the conflict. The official Army guidelines on the donning of flag patches add that the forward-facing stars give "the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.” So perhaps it's best to think of every military person as a latter-day flag bearer, leading the headlong charge into battle.

God Bless you our men and women in uniform along with the Southern People.

Law Enforcement Flag

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): american flag patch soldiers law enforcement officers wear reverse: https://shortly.im/5mUG1

It looks that way, right? However, it is supposed to mimic the way an actual flag would look on something moving forward. Like if someone has a flag sticking out a window, it looks backward -- only for some reason, the patches make it look weird.

It depends on which shoulder or breast the flag is attached or sewn. If it is on the left side of the body, the flag is positioned correctly, but some military and law enforcement units have their regulations to follow as to how the flag is sewn or velcro attached.

When I was active duty we did not wear the American flag on our uniforms. That doesn't mean it's not legal to do so today.

Source(s): U.S. Army Airborne Retired
  • Curt

Because some phographs are reversed. Don't ask why (or if you do, it'll take a few more points off your total).

I have a picture of myself in the 80's with a reversed flag in the Stars & Stripes from the Phillipines, though I swear it was facing the right way when I dressed that morning.

It is bcause the wear ir on the right shoulder. The blue is facing forward. Blue is the superior color which is why it is in the upper left corner of the flag as it flies.

We have such a rockin' flag!!!!!

The other two guys gave the answer....Thanks for serving guys!!! Merry Christmas.

• NNY

because it is like they are holding the flag, and thats the way the flag would flutter going forward, if it was the other way, it would be retreating.

Source(s): my drill sergeant told me.

I think it shows because they are charging forward in the line of duty