Does eating meat make us cruel people?

A vegan told me that eating meat makes me a murderer and that I am responsible for death, pain and cruelty. I work hard to provide for my family and there is always some meat on the table. To me, a meal is not complete with a meat entree. I want my family to be healthy and get the necessary nutrients that their... show more A vegan told me that eating meat makes me a murderer and that I am responsible for death, pain and cruelty.

I work hard to provide for my family and there is always some meat on the table. To me, a meal is not complete with a meat entree. I want my family to be healthy and get the necessary nutrients that their bodies need.

What that vegan said to me is really bothering me. I consider myself to be a good person, but this vegan insists that I am a murderer. How should I respond this vegan?