Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Gallipolis, Ohio?

Why is a Village allowed to be called a city and hold out city taxes and have a city police force and the Attorney Generals Office does nothing about it and all the drug's that the so called city Police deal in and hang other people to cover their track's.

• Griff
    Favorite Answer

In Ohio you pay taxes where you work and where you live. If you live in a township, you do not pay "city" taxes, only taxes where you work. If you work and live in a township you do not pay any "city" tax. Would it make you feel better if they called it "village" taxes? It's the same thing. Along the same lines, theres no difference calling your police force a "city", "township", or "village" police force. It's all semantics. Also, in the state of Ohio, the Sheriff's office has jurisdiction over any police force in its county if that helps you at all. I really don't know what, how, or why the Attorney General's office would do anything about what you describe. I'm not even sure what you would want them to do.

There's nothing illegal about what you describe. If there is corruption in the police force, then yes there is a problem. Everything else you describe is all semantics.

There are clear definitions of city and village in Ohio Revised Code. I know not Gallipolis, but the community leaders have an obligation to protect the the city/village and to pay for it.

I'am from a small town in Ohio and we ask the same question.I hope we can get some answers here.