Sudden onset of motion sickness, vertigo, dizziness, nausea. Any ideas as to what is wrong with me?

For about 3 weeks now I have been having unexplained motion sickness, dizziness, vertigo and nausea. It is worst when I'm in the car. For some reason it seems worse in the late afternoon and evening hours. I have not yet vomited because of the dizzy spells, but I have had dry heaves a few times the past few days. The spells also come when I am working on the computer or even just moving around. Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with me? At first I thought it was just a sinus infection that affected my inner ear, but it seems to be getting worse over time and my cold is gone. Even sitting and writing this, I feel like the world is spinning.

If it helps, I have never had this motion sickness before. Crazy amusement park rides and boats are some of my favorite things in life. Well, they were until this anyway. =(

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm kind of at my wit's end.

P.S. Please do not tell me to see a doctor! I have an appointment, but not til February.

• zeek
    Favorite Answer

a lot of good answers here, but make sure u have your thyroid checked out it can also cause these symptoms

• cegla

Sudden Onset Vertigo

• harli

Sudden Dizziness And Nausea

Not being a doctor I would say you have an inner ear infection that needs to be treated RIGHT AWAY!!!!

Lack of attention can cause permanent damage.

The infection is causing your brain to think that you are moving or tilting when you are not and that brings on the dizzy spells and vertigo which bring on the nausea.

Been there done that.. waited until it hurt and now have tinitus in that ear and that sucks!!!!!

You say don't tell you to see a doctor.... I SAY call another one or go to an emergency room.

Get well soon and Happy Holidays.

The two most likely explanations are that you have "Labyrinthitis" and inflammation of the inner ear caused by your cold - it should resolve itself in a week or two. The other possible cause is Meniere's Disease which causes fluid pressure to build up in the inner ear - eventually the cochlear/labyrinth ruptures causing varying degrees of motion sickness - usually however an attack subsides after a day or two. You symptoms are serious and please try to see a specialist ASAP. You could also have a brain tumor on the 8th nerve and having to wait 2 months is NOT a good idea. In the mean time try taking 50mg of benedry every 4-6 hours it might help, but it will make you sleepy

Source(s): former nurse - victim of Meniere's Disease

Dizziness is one of the most complicated symptoms to pinpoint in medicine. It could be rooted to a wide array of problems. You shouldn't discount the fact that because your cold is gone, that your ear condition (ie. otitis media) could possibly still remain. Not a whole lot of information to go on. If you are are capable of trying some sort of sinus decongestant, it may help, since its long before you will see a physician. I only say this because of your recent cold symptoms and its sudden onset. A lot of things to consider such as age, prenancy poss, thyroid, menstral cycles, hormone levels, cardiac status, and neuro deficits. Im just a med tech so I can't give medical advice. If your condition worsens you might want to bump up that appt or go to an urgent care clinic to get a preliminary workup. Merry x-mas and feel better:)

Truly strange. It sounds like something is pressing on the fluid in your ear causing this. Could still be an infection. Another thought is something going on with your heart or blood pressure. In any case, you need to be seen by a doctor ASAP. February is too far away. Try and get seen sooner, or visit the ER. It sounds more serious than just motion sickness, especially since you get it just writing. (could also be your vision, new glasses, head injury, etc.)

Take care.

• Joyce

It's possible to still be pregnant after you become pregnant. Especially if it's light. Often women have light bleeding at the very beginning of pregnancies once. So don't count that out just yet. You might want to consider getting a test just to make sure. Otherwise, just got to the doctor. It could be anything.

I had awful nausea, dizziness, 'car sickness', etc. It turned out to be gallbladder disease. The motion sickness was the warning before the real gb 'attack'.

Get an ultrasound of the gb to check for stones.

I had this about a year ago. I hit my head on something and had the same symptoms as you are having. The dizzyness has something to do with the liquid in your inner ear and your balance. Mine got worse if i tipped my head back too fast. One source I found to help figure out what it is - http://health.ivillage.com/0,,q01f,00.html?ivNPA=1...

Sounds like an inner ear infection... you need antibiotics ASAP. Do not wait till Feb to see a doctor. Go to a walk in clinic. You can develop permanent loss of hearing from this type of infection.