Subwoofer stopped working?

Hey

I got my subwoofer and an amplifire installed about 6 months ago. It was working fine until today evening, when it just stopped, without any apparant reason. I was operating it a normal volume level. I checked the amp and its red light is on (so its working, i suppose?) all connections around amplifier and subwoofer look fine. Fuse on amp is fine too.

I am completly novice in this so I dont know where to look next.

Is my subwoofer blown?

Please help me on this one and try to provided as much info as possible.

Thanks

Best Answer

One way to do a basic test of the sub itself...unhook the sub from the amp and use a 9 volt battery across the subs terminals and listen for a scratching sound. If you can't hear it, it's blown. If you can hear it, it doesn't necessarily mean it's ok either, but at least you know the coil is intact and it may be functional.

This may lend a possibility that the amp has an issue.

Source(s): 25 year electronics technician, audio guru
  • Susan

If at first view, the amp looks like it's fine, check the wiring to the sub. It can sometimes vibrate loose, even if you're using a quick-connect or other type of connecter. If it wasn't crimped down enough on the speaker wire, the wire may have slipped out after time. Once those are checked and deemed to be in good shape, I'd work my way back through to the amp and just double check fuses. Don't give 100% to those little lights on the amp. They can give a false positive sometimes. Besides, you put time and money into building this system,... and if you paid someone to set it up for you, it's now time to get intimate with your own stereo system. The chances of the sub just not working all of a sudden is slim to none. Even if it was blown, you'd still get some noise out of it. If it's completely dead, you most likely have a loose wire somewhere. Good luck and happy hunting!

First check all your connections. That means inside your speaker box. Sometimes the SPL will rattle a connection loose. If that checks out OK. get a VOM (volt ohm meter) and start testing your electrical.

This is not derrogatory, just observational....since your a novice I would bet you have cheap equipment...that could be your problem. You get what you pay for!

If you said I have a JL 12W7 with a JL 1000/1 and it stopped working I would have more to work with.

Check your wire from amp to subwoofer, look for cracks or rubbing on insalation

Source(s): common sense

Its probably the neighbors who are all pissed at you. Otherwise I suspect the "amplifire".

u might have fired out a channel