How do you say hound/hunting dog in Latin?

I was wondering if there was a word in Latin specifically for a hound or a hunting dog. I could only find the word for a generic "dog." I want to know how to say shadow hounds, so if someone knows how to say that, it would also be helpful.

Favorite Answer

I would agree with "Canis venaticus" to express "hunting dog".

However, to translate "shadow hounds" will depend on whether you are thinking of something supernatural or ordinary..

Canes venatici umbrosi would suggests hounds that are in the shade.

If you mean hounds that come out of the shadows, then I'd use Canes venatici ex umbris.

hounds belonging to the realms of shadows ~

Canes venatici umbrarum

Source(s): Oxford Latin Dictionary - Lewis & Short

I don't feel there is a specific Latin name ; however by simply translating "hunting dog" you'll get "canis venaticus" that's in my opinion correct.

P.S. In an answer here below I read that shadow can be translated with the word "umbrosus", but I'm not agree since in this context "shadow hounds"clearly means that the hound is devoted for chasing the wild animals and not, as it looks from that amazing translation, resting in the shadow,repaired from the hot sun....!!

Canis venaticus

Venator canis

These two terms have both been used by Roman authors to refer to hunting dogs, but the first one is more common. The adjective for shadow/shade is umbrosus. In the plural it would be:

Canes venatici umbrosi

Venatores canes umbrosi

I see that the person above me thinks that my translation is amazing. I also see that his previous answer for hunting dog has changed - oddly enough - to the exact same one that I have given! :-)

Best answer to zlevad. He always gives an excellent answer.

p.s. Thank you so much, Martox, for the laugh - I have been picturing my 'shadow' hounds "resting in the shadow, repaired from the hot sun" - you must admit, it is funny, even if not quite what the asker had in mind! I should have looked into it a little further - umbra is the noun for shadow, so I just used the adjective, which obviously carries a slightly different meaning. But I had a good laugh.

Source(s): In an answer here below I read that shadow can be translated with the word "umbrosus", but I'm not agree since in this context "shadow hounds"clearly means that the hound is devoted for chasing the wild animals and not, as it looks from that amazing translation, resting in the shadow,repaired from the hot sun....!!
  • perro de podenco/cazando