Derek
Derek asked in Consumer ElectronicsTiVO & DVRs · 1 decade ago

DVD-R or DVD+R?

I want to back up a couple movies. Should I buy DVD-R or DVD+R?

Best Answer

I use DVD+R but it depends on your DVD burner. Most older HP computers are compatable with DVD+R my new PC is DVD+/-R.

You will need to check your burner for compatability.

Here is some more technical information:

The Standards Differences

1) The DVD-R (pronounced "DVD dash R") and -RW media formats are officially approved by the standards group DVD Forum. The DVD Forum was founded by Mitsubishi, Sony, Hitachi, and Time Warner, so it has tremendous industry support for its technical standards.

2) DVD+R ("DVD plus” R) and +RW formats are not approved by the DVD Forum standards group, but are instead supported by the DVD+RW Alliance. The DVD+RW Alliance is supported by Sony, Yamaha, Philips, Dell, and JP, so it also has tremendous industry support for its technical standards. Note that Sony supports both organizations.

The Functional Differences

The main functional differences between DVD-R and DVD+R are:

1) the DVD recorder's built-in defects management,

2) the way the records format and rewrite DVDs,

3) the price.

According to the claims of the DVD Alliance, using a DVD+R/+RW recorder will let you do the following:

1. Instantly eject without having to wait for finalized formatting.

2. Ability to record one DVD disc partially on PC and partially on television.

3. Background formatting: while the disc is being formatted, you can simultaneously record on already-formatted portions of the same disc.

4. Enhanced ability to edit filenames, movie and song titles, and playlists.

5. 100% compatibility with all other DVD players, while still enjoying these extra recording features.

Good Luck

This is a bit hard question to answer.. because nowadays, all the DVD writer offers + and - as well as dual layer.. at very reasonable rate..

if you want to print on your DVD digitally, LightScribe is kind of new technology, however, it will require special DVD disks to do so.

so basically, just go to the local IT cheapest shop and ask for a brand name... sony, benq, panasonic, it will be alright..

regarding back up movies, if you are backing up (as of duplicating the DVDs), you will need DVD copy and DVD shrink for most of the DVDs as they will not usually fit into 4.5GB

DVD blank media.. but if you are talking about AVI format Divx or Xvid movies, then, all the best with hunting the DVD...

It all depends on the type of discs your burner will burn to. I know with my computer, the burner tells me which ones to use. I look under My Computer and then right click on the drive that is the burner and click Properties and under hardware where it lists the drive, it should say something like DVD +-RW or +R or -R or something like that. That shows pretty much what you need to use to burn on.

Hope it helps.!!

• ?

DVD-R .... yet till they have a common DVD participant that handles both buddy and NTSC it could be perplexing for them to play North American format (NTSC) video considering that Europe is buddy depending. both video platforms are incompatible. you should favor to guage having even with disc you list rerecorded by technique of a commercial replica abode that would produce a buddy disk.

doesn't matter, a few years ago burners could only burn one type, but now all burners can burn both