. asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Question for martial artists, boxers, kickboxers, etc?

What is your training routine for training abs?

Favorite Answer

iron bridge (lie on back, press lower back into ground, lift upper and lower body, hold for 60, breathe)

reverse iron bridge (lie on belly, lift everything off the ground, hold for 60, breathe) - to balance both sides

uncle willies (face down on ground, hands on chin, lift body onto elbows and toes, hold for 60, breathe)

after a month, hold for 75

after 2, hold for 90

etc

jumping stances with fists to waist (straight and twisting 180 degress depending on the stance)

To be honest, boxers get in UFC destroyed because good as they are, a good fighter will just stay out of their punching range and take them down with kicks. That's why a kickboxer can arguably take anyone, apart from maybe those annoying grapplers! Kickboxers have got all the ammo. Good handwork and legwork. And in UFC, you NEED that. To be honest you see no martial artists in UFC, because Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kung-Fu and all the rest are pretty useless anyway. And yes, I am a kickboxer and I know what I'm talking about.

Generally, I follow a strength training program that involves many series of low reps, done slowly. When I do my situps, I will do them in groupings of 15, slowly performed, with a brief half second pause in between each, in order to kill momentum. The neck and head is kept straight in order to prevent any attempt at pulling myself up with neck instead of my abs.

Following this, I begin to alternate pushup/situp routines. Here is the ab routine I follow:

1. Regular situps

2. Alternate Left/ Right

3. Elevated situps - Using a bench from bench press, with feet locked in (usually followed by elevated pushups)

4. Keeping feet/ butt elevated, reaching up with both hands as if pulling a rope down (double reps)

5. Knees bent - pull both knees up and in toward chest as if I had a ball in between them. Back remains straight.

Once this is completed, repeat until unable to continue. The advantage is that by doing them slowly and correctly, you will gain a great deal more from each technique. By alternating low reps between pushups and situps, you will find that throughout an hour or so, that you will have done about 5 times as many pushups/ situps as you were normally capable, with better technique on each movement.

Crunches across the weight bench with just my butt on the bench. That way the abs are as isolated as possible.

Situps are key, but they can get boring.

I usually alternate my main ab region (upper and lower) as well as working on the obliques each day.

When I get bored of situps, I do pilates, which not only stregthens your core, but improves balance, flexibility and concentration.

The abs are always there, its the fat that needs removing, in the past I have tried: Clenbutyrol

• Rip

Crunches and pull-ups

sit ups...and lots of them

Dont stop untill your about to throw up..and do them every day

crunches and ball

sit-ups sit-ups sit-ups and errrrr!!more sit-ups.

Source(s): MERRY CHRISTMAS!!.