How can I take all rights to my daughter from my ex-husband??

He has not paid child support in 3 yrs and has not seen my daughter in almost 2 yrs...he refuses to sign his rights to her over tome...what can I do?

Favorite Answer

start with a lawyer and the child support enforcement agency.

First, get a lawyer. Talk about what you can do legally. Then stop, and really think about what is best for your daughter in the long run not what is going to get back at your ex for not helping out. My son's father does not pay child support, and is in and out of my son's life all the time. He goes 6 - 7 months at a time with out calling, and it has been devestating to my son. However, now my son refuses to see or talk to his dad when he does call, and he has realized that his father is the bad guy, not me. If I had forces my son to not see his father, my son could have blamed me for his dad being a dead beat, and I think that would have pushed him to rebel against me and take his father's side. Just my thoughts...

You must file a petition in family court to terminate the fathers parental rights. I don't know what state you live so it is hard to factor in a time line. I know in Michigan, if the parent has no contact with the child for 2 years, the right to file the petition is valid. Not paying child support may play favor when going to court on this petition but rarely constitutes valid reasoning for filing the petition. You will have to pay a filing fee at the court, if you win, in most cases the parent who lost their rights no longer has current support to pay, but still have to pay what they owe. If you received any public assistance, they may have the payments (if ever made) diverted to go directly to them. I hope this was helpful. Contact your local friend of the court, or Family court for more in depth information.

Source(s): Terminated the parental rights of my daughters father...

the laws vary from state to state. however I've never heard of a father losing his rights just for non-payment and showing no interest in his child. Unfortunately there are millions of dead-beat loser fathers like that in the US. If he was a convicted sex offender or something like that you would have a much better chance of a family court judge making that kind of ruling.

sorry to hear of your misfortune...

Gather the evidence that you can and start building up your case. Once you get enough, you could take it to court. If he does now help support her, and dosent even visit at all, it shows that he dosent care about her at all.

You just have ot take you time and build up your case with proveable evidence, not just what you feel.

Ummm...first of all, seek out a qualified attorney for an honest answer rather than strangers on the internet.

If you need an affordable way to talk to an Attorney/Law Firm in your State, please contact me. I will get you access to your Legal Rights and cover your entire family with Legal protection. I hope to be of service to you.

Sincerely,

Jon

If you don't have a lawyer, get one.

If you have one, get a better one.