Unlawful Retainer?

How does this affect my rental prospects? Also what can I do about it?

• Phil R
    Favorite Answer

Unlawful Detainer and/or Unlawful Retainer are sometimes considered the same thing. An unlawful detainer means is the method by which a landlord sues to remove you from rental property for unpaid rent.

If I were a landlord and were preparing to rent to you, AND I saw on the court records that you had an unlawful detainer action filed against you, I would think twice about renting to you. What that tells me is that at some time in the past you have failed to pay your rent and that they had to go to the time and expense to evict you.

If they are obtaining this information from your credit report, then you have a right to enter an explanation on your credit report. Otherwise, you should be up-front with the landlord and explain what happened.

For more specific information, consult an attorney licensed in your state. If you don't have an attorney, contact your local or state bar association for a referral.

Source(s): 10+ years in the legal profession.