Is anyone having email problems since installing Norton Internet Security 2007?

After installing, I can receive but not send emails. I get a message stating that the client program (Outlook 2003) could not connect to the SMTP server. I know my SMTP settings are correct.

I have attempted to disable the anti-spam feature in the product, but that did not make a difference. I finally uninstalled Norton and the email worked fine.

Any ideas?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Norton always has problems. Use something like Mcafee.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • π²
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Norton Internet Security includes a firewall, the firewall is blocking the ports that you need for mail SMTP inbound/outbound. Change the firewall policy, read the email providers FAQ docs to find out what the ports are.

In addition I agree with the others that Norton causes more problems than it prevents.

• 1 decade ago

Try disabling the firewall that comes with Norton. I work in tech support and I have seen problems with email since people installed the newest version of Norton.

• 1 decade ago

Those Security Suite such as Norton, McAffee whatever take alot of power on your computor, and slow it down. You are lucky you didn't loose your address book or in some cases connections. Install antivirus program such as AVG and other security programs individually--you computor will appreciate it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Never liked Norton, never will. It slowed my friend's computer to a crawl! I think it has glitches in it.

Try Mcafee Security Center! It includes spam killer, anti virus, firewall, anti spyware, and privacy service.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

when installing a big antivirus like nortons always best to check out all da. settings on it there may have been a box that was check marked to block ur email some how .

• 1 decade ago

Northon is s-h-i-t i think you shold get another anti-virus.Heres a free one http://www.grisoft.com/doc/downloads-trials/lng/us...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.