Why do Universities offer degrees in areas that ...?

the only way to get employed is to teach the subject to others? Have the ideas of adademic freedom and choice in selection a major, allowing a student to major in a field that almost guarrantees no employment nor fill a need for society, become ridiculous? If someone is interested in such a field, do it as a hobby...why is public money spent on educating a non-employable workforce, or educating students in areas that fill no societal need? Electives are OK...but to major?

• Ranto
    Favorite Answer

I reject the premise of your argument.

I have studied mathematics, philosophy, business and finance.

I suspect that you would consider my degree in mathematics, general business and finance to be useful degrees that may help me in my job. You would be right.

I suspect that you would consider Philosophy to be a degree that is useless outside of academia. Believe it or not, my study of philosophy is the one that helped me the most in business.

How could a discipline that makes me think logically and forces me to be able to express myself clearly not be a help in business?

While the subject matter of a literature, philosophy or history degree may seem unimportant to those who are working -- that doesn't mean that the skills used in those disciplines are unimportant in the business world.

You are like the Karate Kid wondering how "Wax on, Wax off" will help him in a fight.

Because every subject of life is important and we must have experts in every field if we want to advance as a species. Just because certain fields allow a person to only teach, it in itself is an employment (profession as a teacher).

First of all you have answered your own question. These are Universities which are places of academia. They are not employment agencies. Their goal is not go get you employed but to educate you. Read some of their mission statements and you will have a clear understanding of what they are about. You and only you are responsible for your employment.

Quantum physics isn't a significant. it truly is one or 2 instructions on the undergraduate aspect. Berkeley, UCLA, and UC Santa Cruz, besides as Santa Barbara, CalTech, and Stanford, are all surprising colleges for astronomy and physics. yet again, you rather favor to significant in physics, and it does no longer count in any respect if the college doesn't have a separate astronomy application. All those colleges employ a large style of astronomers you should probably learn with.

Because the purpose of universities is not job training.