JT asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

I have home that was built in 2000. Natural Gas water heater, and furnace. How often to clean chimneys?

Favorite Answer

Natural gas water heaters and furnaces don't use "chimneys" unless your furnace and water heater are vented into an actual chimney, which is unlikely in a 6 year old home. The things sticking out of your roof are vent stacks. They vent carbon monoxide and unburned gases. There is no reason that they should ever need cleaned.

I'm not sure how often you should clean your chimneys. I've never seen my parents clean out their chimney in the 20+ years they'ved lived at their house. However, if you use your fireplace, you can use special logs which actually assist in cleaning the chimney funnel when they are burned. I'm not sure how it works though. I think the fumes in the smoke assist in loosening up the caked on dust and ash on the chimney walls.

Those logs are a scam, they do nothing. If you use it 2-3 times a week then every other year. otherwise every 5 years but make sure you have a good cement crown and a rustproof cap.

dont worry about it,,chimneys for natural gas dont normally need cleaning !!!!

o every 10 years. nothing in there but a little white dust from burnt dust particles in the air. if any black soot around there better call some one to fix equipment.

According to keyspan its not necessary to clean it unless there is a problem when they check your unit on the yearly tune up

Every year and only by a licensed chimney sweep.