Was Saddam Hussain controling the people of Iraq in the only way they will understand?

I am starting to think that he might have been correct. Maybe the only way to keep the Iraq people from acting like they are now is to be so strict and mean to them that they are scared of you. Was all of his killing and torture actually the only way to keep these people in line.

Favorite Answer

I believe before the war started he said if the US would try to do this there would be much blood shed between the groups.I have been thinking that for quite some time.the killing stems from an attempt that was made on his life.and payback sucked for those who tried to kill him.I do think though that he knew why he kept people in line.They have been fighting for over a thousand years in good old Babylon what makes anyone think they could just march in there and make them free?

In my sense, Saddam Hussain was mostly right in ruling the people of Iraq. History says that Iraq is one of the Arab lands where political and social problems were common from the ancient time. Bagdad was brutally ravaged by the Mongols repeatedly. Even among the common Arabs, Iraq and Iraqies are treated a bit differently. They are either anthropologically and/or historically a bit 'critical' than the common Arabs. So, it is not only Saddam but none in the history could rule the Iraqies easily.

Moreover, amalgamed land of different ethnic and religious sects, like Kurds, Shiahs and Sunnies made a chaotic social structure in Iraq rather than a blended one like the USA. So, it is obvious that where nothing can satisfy everyone, some sorts of forces are needed to maintain the peace in place. So, I think that tougher days are coming for the Iraqies as well as for the existing rulers(!) of Iraq. Because, it is not the mediaval time, it is the 21st century and a rough dictator like Saddam Hussain is not very common or available.

• hog b

Of course it is terrible to control people in the way he did.....however that is what Iraqis were used to, and the ridiculous idea that democracy is put in place simply by holding an election is just that -ridiculous.

I never knew much about Iraq until recently, but if you look at it's history it is apparent that it is an "invented" country, invented for the convenience of Western business and political interests, so there is no real sense of a national identity. The civil war that is going on is inevitable, and I have a horrible feeling that those in power, who initiated the war, must have known this would be the case.

Sorry, I drifted off the point of you question a bit, but it looks like that one way to rule an invented country is by a dictatorship. There must be others, but not just by "holding an election" which our, apparently moronic, leaders told us would do the trick.

• Takfam

Iraq's conflict is not unlike our own two party system in the U.S. except we don't have Republicans and Democrats trying to kill each other (yet).

We need to understand that yes, the oppressed people love us there, but the ones in power hate us. What happens when the oppressed rise to power and become the oppressors and want us out? Do we then help the deposed government regain power?

Its a vicious circle with no answer. Saddam hated/hates America and so removing him was neutralizing a threat, but at a great cost to Iraq's cultural, religious, leadership, and economic stabilities.

Actually i agree with you. Bush should have just left those people alone. I think what he did is just as if someone said to you and i that they don't like the way we run our house so they kick us out of our own home and change everything in it to suit what they want and what they feel i should have in my home.

I HATE GEORGE BUSH FOR DISRUPTING THOSE PEOPLE'S WORLD.

He controlled them the wrong way, killing anyone who disagreed with him including his own Family.

Apparently so...

Trouble is, Iraq always should have been three separate countries.

• ~Gate~

It's truly frightening to think that people can be this ignorant.

Unbeleivable.

Sure seems like it doesn't it...