Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 decade ago

A lot of people seem to be very upset about vehicles running in the daytime with front fog lamps on. Why?

Ive even been told by an answerer here that Im the only truck in the world that cant be seen without lights on if I insist on using them, and that Im a plonker who needs to respect the other road users. How is having them on in the day not respecting other road users? Here in NZ at least 50% of the trucks run with them on daytime. To me, the plonkers are the ones who never turn any lighting on till its dark, irregardless of weather, road conditions, etc. 30yrs driving, no accidents, no demerits, driving a truck & 400hp+ 300ZX.

The driving lights im referring to are the factory ones mounted very low on most cars, aimed even lower and over to the side as they should be. They cause no glare whatsoever, but are at least visible, which park lights often aren't. I see other drivers coming towards me all day with theres on, and have no issues with them. The only ones that are a problem are the high beam lights or the SUV add-on foglamps.

The driving lights im referring to are the factory ones mounted very low on most cars, aimed even lower and over to the side as they should be. They cause no glare whatsoever, but are at least visible, which park lights often aren't. I see other drivers coming towards me all day with theres on, and have no issues with them. The only ones that are a problem are the high beam lights or the SUV add-on foglamps. I travel a minimum of 100,000km a year this way.

Favorite Answer

It's only bothersome if they are out of adjustment. If fog lights are aimed properly (down and out toward the fog line), it shouldn't be a problem.

There is a huge difference from daytime running lights(headlights) and fog lamps. It has been shown in numerous research tests, by universities around the world, that headlights on during the day reduce accidents, but fog lamps and hi-beam driving lights can cause accidents by distracting on-coming drivers and can impair drivers vision that are being followed by someone with these type of lights on(i.e. reflection in the mirrors which amplifies light). There is really no reason for anyone to have fog lamps or driving lights on in traffic situations. In some countries such as Canada and the US, you will recieve a fine up to $500 for missusing these lights in traffic situations. Consider others and think of it this way: would you like to be driving with someone pointing a hi-powered flashlight in your face. The perspective of a truck drivers point of vision is highly different from those driving a normal sized vehicle.

The "Look at me" lights on SUVs other trucks negate the safety factor for motorcycles required to have the headlight burning at all times.

look interior the owner's handbook for a diagram of the fuse/circuit field. See if there's a fuse there labeled "DRL". if so then hit upon the circuit breaker/fuse panel and get rid of that fuse. concern solved. it could additionally end your lighting fixtures from coming near immediately whilst it gets dark yet i'm assuming you're smart sufficient to apply the sprint swap to coach your lighting fixtures on whilst mandatory...*wink*

Thats dumb for them to be upset because almost all car come with daytime running lamps now.

I totaly agree with rex rrac.