What should I do to a new butcher block island top to keep it looking good?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I wipe mine down with a dab of vegetable oil after I clean it off. You only need to do this once a day.(if you used it)

• 1 decade ago

Season it with vegetable oil, and make sure you always use a good acrylic cutting board for chopping veggies, tenderizing meats, etc. Even though butcher block was originally meant to be used for just such purposes, a beat-up, carved-up butcher block does not look pretty - not to mention the fact that it's unsanitary.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

give it a good going over once a day with a deck scrubber and warm soapy water leave to dry, no additives

no point having a butchers block if it doesn't look and feel like one

• 1 decade ago

You must oil it first b4 you use it. Junkers do a decant oil at a fair price, you can buy this from a Howdens joinery if there is one near you. You then need to oil it twice a year (or at least once) hope this helps. Also u need to have a vapour barrier underneath it if u have any appliances.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Never put olive oil or veg oil on cutting boards or butcher blocks.

It can turn rancid and can cause food poisoning.

here's a link that tells the specific mineral oil to use and how to apply.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/CuttingBoards/AllAb...

• 1 decade ago

Mineral oil or those wood salad bowl finishes but they are usually mineral oil anyway

• 1 decade ago

I wasn't going to answer this without finding out for sure but, I was told do nothing more than rub it down good with mineral oil and leave it. It makes sense but, please find out for sure.

• argus
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

rub it with vegetable oil

• 1 decade ago

don't use it

• John B
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

don't use it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.