what comes to mind where you hear the word liberal?

Favorite Answer

Self-appointed know-it-alls who actually have no idea of how the real world works. Utopian dreams without a grain of knowledge of the big picture, human nature, or freedom of choice (thinking that discrimination based on hard work and income, with wealth redistribution, would actually make people strive to do more)....

More need to put down the weed, move out of mom's basement, stop thinking that 8 years of taking Sanskrit and Philosophy in college makes them experts in the real world, and to actualy strive to make themselves better instead of thinking the world owes them something.

When it is being used by a far right conservative it means anybody who does not agree with them. Simple-minded to say the least.

When someone calls themselves a liberal, I do assume they hail from the Democratic, Libertarian, or Independent Party and are in favor of strong civil liberties. Perhaps a bit better educated than conservatives, but that may be too broad.

Lord, I do hate the word assume though.

volatile. Do they extremely trust that liberals will behave? Beck must have extremely shook the progressives for them to threat putting their liberal minions lose. for sure, maximum will be bussed in to inventory the shape with bodies.

The word Liberal to me today equates to Marxist. The old deffinition of Liberal having been long ago lost. Liberals used to be "bleeding hearts". Used to care about people and espouse causes that benifited the disadvantaged. Today's "liberal" has the Marxist revenge philosophy. It's not about helping people, it's about turning tables. About changing under and upper dog. It's about taking things away from people and becoming Big Mamma to people. Removing all trust and self determination from people. Dependence = Liberalism today. The term Liberal today has become a complete opposite to Independence and freedom. The bane of self determination and self reliance. The bane of the concept of self period. In short you leave your humanity behind to become a cog in the machine.

I think of liberals as people who trust government more than they trust regular citizens. That is why they support high taxes. They are also usually better with theory than practicality. Liberal theory sounds great, but doesn't work in reality. That's why many academics are liberals, because they lack real world experience.

In the UK: A political party (with a capital L) or "generous" as an adjective.

In the US: generally used as a term of abuse by conservatives against those that they consider to be "left wing".

Someon wearing open toed sandals and thick grey socks, like those I am wearing right now.

Someone with superior intellect to the rabid right-wingers. ;-)

• DannyK

A mindset different than my own which deserves the same respect when intelligently debated.

Communism, National Socialist Party, Over taxation, Pre Pre school,

Mind control, murder of the unborn children, Etc Etc

Respectable, but impractical ideals. I do not agree with them, but I can at least respect the moderate ones.