I am a mom with ocd and I need some advice...?

I was diagnosed with ocd when I was 17. I tried medication, but I opted to stop taking it. I would like to try medication again, but I am afraid to tell my Dr. that I even have the disorder. He doesn't have my pediatric records, so right now he doesn't know. I am happily married with two beautiful kids, and I am a very devoted stay at home mom. I am worried that if I admit to having ocd, the Dr. will think I am an unfit parent or something. My kids are my world and I think I am a good mom. Am I worried for nothing or is this a valid concern? I have wasted so many years not doing things I wanted to do because of my fears...I want to get treatment so I don't have to live this way.

Favorite Answer

Stepping up and getting help only shows that you ARE a good mom! Hopefully your doctor, as a medical professional, would have enough sense to not stigmatize you for having OCD. Neither should anyone else, but that's another post.

You shouldn't be afraid of who you are! I say go to your doc, get a referral for a psychiatrist, and get back on meds & in therapy! It'll only make you a BETTER mother! :)

I am also a Mom and have OCD, I was diagnosed at age 22. I have been taking medication for it ever since except when I was pregnant. Anyway, your relationship with your children and everyone else will be much better and more relaxed with medication. When you have OCD you worrying and than with kids you worrying more. So do yourself a favor and get help. The Dr. will not think you are a unfit parent there are many Moms out there with OCD and we all have our children. You should go see a Psychiatrist not a GP anyway. Good luck.

OK. First of all, your Dr will not think you are an unfit mom for seeking help for a medical condition. With all the poeple out there who are parents who shouldn't be, don't be afraid to get help you need. Especially as a mom. You need to do what's best for your children, and if medication will help you be a better person, then your children will benefit from that too. Just talk to your Dr. He will be fine with everything. Unless you abuse your children, he will not think you are an unfit mother. Dr's are very smart, caring people.

Naww, he wont report you for that.. I have bipolar and (on meds) have raised 1 child and fostered others in the past. My son just turned 18 and is an awesome "kid".. He is special needs, and I was allowed to adopt him even though I have bipolar.

Have an illness does not mean you are unfit;-) get the help you need now, it will all be ok!!!

Source(s): PS: the fear of having your children taken away is not an OCD "thing"..You have that fear because it happens all the time. So it is a rational fear that most parents have.

Your fear of getting help and the fear of them taking your children are more than likely just symptoms of OCD anyway. Why don't you talk to your parents or spouse, people who know you have it, and maybe take them with you to a doctor. They can support you while you discuss treatment options with your new doctor. I wish you the best of luck.

Go see a Shrink. He can prescribe meds.

Zoloft seems to be the best.