Thomas Aquinas on Being - can a vacuum exist?

I tried to post this before, but it vanished into a vacuum! Here goes again...if a vacuum is a space devoid of matter how can it exist? If this is our definition of a vacuum, in Thomism it would be equal to saying that a vacuum was a non-being, that existed (since I can perceive and measure it). Outer space is supposed to be a vacuum, with things in it. But how can a non-being have beings in it? In Thomism non-being is just a negation of being, and so does not exist. If outer space was a void then it just wouldn't be there. According to Thomas, then, non-being does not exist, hence since a vacuum exists, it cannot be a non-being - it must be a being of some sort. So outer space cannot be a vacuum. Am I understanding Thomas correctly - and is this right?

Favorite Answer

Vacuum is an event of equalization and balance where matter shifts its placement in space. At least thats my 2 cents.

• Philo

That's pretty much right. A vacuum is MOSTLY devoid of matter. According to quantum theory, even a perfect vacuum has energy that manifests as virtual particles that come into being (in complementary pairs) and then annihilate themselves (turning back into energy) in very tiny fractions of a second. Do a search on virtual particles and see what you find.

Well the definition of vacuum is not the one that most people use. The definition most use, as is the case with outerspace a vacuum is without air.

Thomas Aquinas was an idiot and Thomism is an ignorant philosophical viewpoint. Have you ever read "Summa Theologiae?" What a load of crap that thing is...