Can I install Windows XP on my current computer?

I have 2 computers, one Windows XP and the other Windows 2000, Can I use the installations discs from XP to overide the 2000? Will I lose information already stored in 2000? Please make instructions very simple and easy to understand. I am not a computer geek. Thank you.

• Cirric
    Favorite Answer

Hi. You will have trouble getting one copy of Win XP to run on two PCs. MS is getting pretty sticky about that. Your best bet if you wish to try it anyway is to backup all files you wish to keep or better yet, add a second hard drive and install the XP to it. Not hard to do.

Yes, you can install XP on your 2000 computer, but it will ask for an activation code that must be entered within 30 days of installation, or you cant use it past those 30 days. You will have to call Microsoft and give them a good reason why you are installing the same copy on another computer.

No, you will not lose any information stored on that computer because it is contained in the hard drive. The operating system does not change files already there.

Source(s): System Administrator

no..i tried installing xp gateway on a xp other computer brand name and it didn't work! it would not allow me to install gateway xp on the other xp computer.

Ur windows has to be genuine. I dont know why people would say that u could ,its not that simple, u'll most likely have problems with it.

U can try it out though, just back up all ur files first.

Doesn;t hurt to try.

Yes you can what you do is go to the system open the cd rom and put in disk then when the autorun comes up click upgrade and follow instructions

As for the activation it is only happening with xp home edition and if you xp pro you can do it but it is illegal ...

According to the Microsoft end-users agreement, you cannot use the disks from another computer to update a second one. If you purchase the retail version of XPPRO/HOME you can, after several minutes of watching thing whirl, select to update and existing instance of Windows. This "usually" does not loose the setting as apps but has historically made the OS slower than it usually is.

yeah u can install the xp over the 2000 but!!! everything will be deleted so just to make sure copy thing u need to a cd and then us the insallation

get carry of XP SP3 - that'll provide you fairly some the updates from the XP unique launch. yet fairly some the updates are secure practices updates - which you do no longer choose if the laptop's no longer on the internet.

• Sagar

u will loose all of the info that u have on the other PC. the key for XP wont work. let me know if u need more help

Not legally on two computers, no. MS is watching, so if both computers are connected to the net, you can expect to run into problems.