Stagger Lee (Stack O' Lee)?

Does Anyone know who wrote the song? It's been coverd by Everyone...Lloyd Price, Nick Cave, Taj Mahal, Dave Van Ronk, Grateful Dead, Even Mississippi John Hurt and Woody Guthrie. But I assume that its been around longer??

• Favorite Answer

It seems to have origins in folk music and has no known original writer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagger_Lee

• toff

The most deffinitive version of this song was recorde but not necessarily written by Mississippi John Hurt. There are versions dating from 1895 when the crime the song was written about occurred. As is the case in so many folk songs which have been handed down the original writer or writers are unknown.

Stagger Lee is on Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds album "Murder Ballads". It is such a good album. I was under the impression Nick Cave wrote it. So I would like to know too.

It's Stagger Lee...I can't remember who the artist is...Lloyd Price is the original.

THE OLDER VERSION 1928 WAS MADE BY MISSISSIPPI JOHN HURT IT WAS CALLED STAGOLEE

Source(s): LLYOD PRICE FAN