when is it a good time to go to san francisco?

Favorite Answer

Late September early October, the weather is the best and most of the tourists are gone.

Did people really say summertime? Mark Twain said "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco" and it's so true. Autumn, like the natives have been saying on here... September, October clear skies, also some days in the Spring... but definately not the Summer, unless you really want to get the SF fog experience in all it's "glory".

Summer. I'm a bay area girl :)

Unless you like the cold, cold weather and over cast skies?? But if you want beautiful clear blue skies (most of the time) and warmer weather, definitely during the summer. And if I may suggest crossing the Golden Gate bridge and enjoying a day in Saulsalito and Marin.. Its very fun and beautiful there as well! Good luck to you! You'll love SF if you have never been!

I think spring in the best time to visit San Francisco.

There is NEVER a bad time to go to San Francisco...though I would suspect that spring would be an especially nice time to visit.

This Bay Area native would agree that September and October are the best times ... although there is never a bad time. No snow, and a host of activities make it a year 'round attraction.

it's always a good time to come to sf! one thing that i've enjoyed about living here is all the festivals that happen throughout the year, like the cherry blossom festival in japantown, the chinese new year parade, dia de los muertos, etc. maybe you could coordinate your trip with a fun sf event? or if you like sports, there's tons of teams in the bay area, so you might want to come during a certain season. if it's pleasant weather you want, definitely august through early november. late nov. through feb. it will be raining. overall, i'd have to say august is the best time.

have fun!

The winters usually have lovely clear skies. It is in the summer that it gets particularly foggy. Inland will be hot yet SF will be covered in cold fog. Still, most any time of year is nice to visit SF. It is a fantastic city.

It comes down to what you like or are expecting.

Source(s): SF peninsula native

August through October. Although the marathon is at the end of July so you'll want to come for that.

Anytime, been there Jan, March and May, weather can be variable but what a great city !