Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

SSID Not Broadcast?

Everytime I tried to connect to my wireless connectivity the name is always SSID Not Broadcast. And everytime I tried to connect, it seems to connect well but I cant acess the internet. How do I fix this problem???

Favorite Answer

the connection from the wireless receiver to the wireless transmitter is only part of the connection.

once connected to the wireless portion of the network your computer will send a DHCP discover packet requesting an IP address from the DHCP server. it sounds like this is not happening. you need to go to the command prompt and type in ipconfig /all and see if you are getting an IP address assigned to your NIC. check to make sure that your computer is set up as a DHCP client and is not set with a static IP address.

You need to know the SSID of an access point before it will allow you to connect to it. This is the first of the connection requirements. SSID is usually set in a residential environment to keep other from connecting. If you have some encryption (like EAP, LEAP of WAP) setup on the access point, you can broadcast the SSID and use those setting to "kinda" secure you connection. BTW, you set the SSID on the access point/router ... but do not accept the default because it is likely someone else has.

Either type in your SSID manually when prompted, or enable SSID broadcasts on your wireless router or access point.