Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

If I feed my dog chocolate will he really die?

32 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Lol my dog ate a hole bag of kisses foil and all! But I would not advise it.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

    Dogs die when fed chocolate because the ingredients and chemicals used to create the ingredients do not digest in their stomach. The ingredients stayin the dogs blood stream for several hours. I believe it is aparently up to 20 hours. Not all dogs will dye, my grandpa has a dog who he feeds a little chocolate every now and again. My dads theory is if he can eat it, the dog can. The only problem with that theory is the dog has developed several allergies and skin problems and the medications cost them quite a fair bit of money each month. I still wouldnt suggest feeding your dog cancer. The risks are not worth it. If you are looking to deal with the risks, then do your dog a favor and let him find a new owner. He deserves much better care. Unless you didnt know, then in that case, everyone makes mistakes, just be sure not to do the same the over again. Hope this was what you were looking for! bye

  • 1 decade ago

    Chocolate is poisonous to dogs. Dark chocolate is far worse than milk chocolate. However it takes quite a bit to cause your dog to die. It depends on the weight of the dog, the type of chocolate, and the sensitivity of the dog.

    Diarrea is a sign that a dog has had enough chocolate to make him sick. Vomiting or dizziness is a sign that the dog may have eaten enough to be fatal without veterinary intervention.

  • 1 decade ago

    It is not chocolate itself that is poisonous to dogs, it is the theobromine, a naturally occuring compound found in chocolate. Theobromine causes different reactions to different dogs: dogs with health problems, especially epilepsy, are more affected by theobromine than healthy dogs. Theobromine can trigger epileptic seizures in dogs prone to or at risk of epilepsy. The size of the dog will also be a major factor: the smaller the dog, the more affected it is by the same amount than a larger dog. Therefore, toxicity is described on a mg/Kg basis.

    Furthermore, theobromine can cause cardiac irregularity, especially if the dog becomes excited. Cardiac arythmia can precipitate a myocardial infarct which can kill the dog.

    Theobromine also irritates the GI tract and in some dogs can cause internal bleeding which in some cases kills them a day or so later.

    Theobromine is also present in differing amounts in different kinds of chocolate. milk chocolate has 44-66 mg/oz, dark chocolate 450 mg/oz and baking/bitter chocolate or cocoa powder varies as much as 150-600 mg/oz. How much chocolate a dog can survive depends on its weight (and other unknown circumstances). Under 200 mg theobromine per kg body weight no deaths have been observed.

    Theobromine will stay in the bloodstream between 14 and 20 hours. It goes back into the bloodstream through the stomach lining and takes a long time for the body to filter out. Because theobromine is eliminated through the liver rather than through the kidneys, it takes a long time to eliminate it.

    Within two hours of ingestion, try inducing vomiting unless your dog is markedly stimulated, comatose, or has lost the gag reflex. If your dog has eaten a considerable amount of chocolate, or displays any of the above symptoms, take it to the vet without delay.

    In the absence of major symptoms, administer activated charcoal. The unabsorbed theobromine will chemically bond to this and be eliminated in the feces. In pinch, burnt (as in thoroughly burnt, crumbling in hand) toast will do.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    Like others have said, if you dog does intake a little chocolate, it might get sick and throw up but it will not die. If it eats a lot of chocolate though, you need to call your vet. Your vet will give your dog special medicine to make it throw up the chocolate.

    Also, they make a type of chocolate called 'carob' which tastes like chocolate but is not bad for dogs. This is what they use for chocolate dog cookies.

  • 1 decade ago

    The ingredient in chocolate that makes it toxic to dogs is theobromine that is toxic to dogs in too much quantity. Theobromine is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

    Thankfully, it takes a lot of chocolate to make a dog sick though the exact amount will differ according to the dog's individual sensitivity, its size, and the concentration of the chocolate consumed.

    Different types of chocolate have varying amounts of theobromine with milk chocolate having about 44 mg of the substance per ounce, semisweet chocolate 150 mg, and Baker'S chocolate 390 mg per ounce making it the most dangerous to your pet.

    With this in mind, here are some guidelines to consider:

    1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate 1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate 1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

    So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

    Because Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves, consumption will result in visible effects on your dog. It has a diuretic effect as well. Some of the signs include hyper excitability, hyper irritability, increased heart rate, restlessness, increased urination, muscle tremors, vomiting, and diarrhea.

    There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

    Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

    If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

  • 5 years ago

    This Site Might Help You.

    RE:

    If I feed my dog chocolate will he really die?

    Source(s): feed dog chocolate die: https://tinyurl.im/jTkP8
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Dogs and Chocolate are a deadly combination! Any veterinarian will tell you that! Please don't ever feed your dog chocolate of any kind! If you want more information about the subject, you can call and ask your own veterinarian, or type in chocolate and dogs in your search bar, and there you will find lot's of information on the subject.

  • rob u
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

    If a 50-pound dog eats a teaspoonful of milk chocolate, it's not going to cause serious problems. However, if that same dog gorges himself on a two-layer chocolate cake, his stomach will feel more than upset and soon it's likely he'll be vomiting or experiencing diarrhea.

  • 1 decade ago

    yes. Alot of chocolate is really bad for your dog. Ask any Vet. I think the Darker chococlate is worse but I cant remember. It has something to do with his heart. If you want to give your dog a treat, their are better things out there.

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    If you feed them enough of it yes, and of course it goes by weight of the dog. This is the most dangerous holiday problem for dogs with all those goodies you may be getting under the tree you may not know what they are but your dogs nose does.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.