does anyone know what costochondritis is?, I've just been diagnosed.?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

What is costochondritis (Tietze's Syndrome)?

Costochondritis is a syndrome of chest wall pain that is due to inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall. Also called Tietze's Syndrome, costochondritis occurs when there is inflammation at the junction of the rib bone and breastbone (sternum). At this junction, there is cartilage joining these bones. This cartilage can become irritated and inflamed. Depending on the extent of the inflammation, this condition can be quite painful.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Costochondritis (Tietze's Syndrome)is a syndrome of chest wall pain that is due to inflammation of the cartilage and bones in the chest wall. Also called Tietze's Syndrome, costochondritis occurs when there is inflammation at the junction of the rib bone and breastbone (sternum). At this junction, there is cartilage joining these bones. This cartilage can become irritated and inflamed. Depending on the extent of the inflammation, this condition can be quite painful. Most commonly the cause of costochondritis is classified as 'idiopathic,' or unknown. This means that there is no identifiable cause for the condition. This does not imply that idiopathic costochondritis is any less painful of a condition than if the cause can be identified. The most frequently affected age group is young adults between 20 and 40 years old. The most common cause of costochondritis that can be attributed to a source is costochondritis as the result of a traumatic injury. For example, a car accident where the driver's chest strikes the steering wheel can cause costochondritis by injuring the ribs and cartilage on the front of the chest. Viral infections, usually upper respiratory infections, have also been identified as a cause of costochondritis. Costochondritis usually goes away on its own. The pain usually lasts a week or two and then resolves. To ease your pain until it fades, your doctor may recommend: Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others) and naproxen (Aleve). Antidepressants, specifically a category of medicines called tricyclic antidepressants, if pain is making it difficult to sleep at night. Muscle relaxants, which can also help ease pain.

Hope this helps

Matador 89

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Costochondritis is an inflammation and associated tenderness of the cartilage that attaches the front of the ribs to the breastbone.

Your Dr may have prescibed you anti inflammatory agents use local heat as well....

regards

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Costochondritis is a benign inflammation of one or more of the costal cartilages (parts that extend each rib to make them more flexible).

Source(s): Wikipedia
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, this seems pretty well covered, and it is indeed an inflammation of the ribcage; think of it as a temporary arthritis. But there is a bit of sloppiness in the definitions, as there's normally no swelling to speak of in the joints. Tietze syndrome is limited to those cases with notable swelling, so they aren't synonymous.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Just inflammation in the costal of the ribs - very painful and sore, but will usually clear up after awhile or after taking anti-inflammatory medicine such as Advil. Ice and heat worked for me when I got it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Inflammation of the cartilages connecting ribs to sternum

• 4 years ago

i do no longer comprehend with regard to the situation, yet whilst motrin delivers some alleviation, possibly ask for vicoprophine. that's a mix of hydrocodone and motrin. it works ok for me ( I easily have fibromyalgia and hypermobile joint ailment).

• 1 decade ago

it's just an inflammation of the rib and it's surrounding cartilage. usually is uncomfortable when you breathe in and out...or even just laying on the inflamed side.

Source(s): i work in the medical field..cardiac and thoracic surgery
  • 1 decade ago

No big geal, don't worry. its an inflamation of the joints between your ribs and your sthernon.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.