Do you think people distrust atheists because they equate it with communism?

For example, atheists are the least trusted group because of McCarthy-ism and the Cold War and erroneously tying atheism to communism?

Favorite Answer

Sure, that's probably one reason. There's plenty of stupid people out there.

• Alex

A disproportionate number of communists are atheists. And yes I think that some people do equate the two.

As a politically conservative American atheist I would say that the two are not connected at all. I have HUGE problems with anything that is even slightly socialistic because I have seen that experimentally it doesn't work.

Atheism and communism do not fit together at all. An atheist believes they should enjoy this life as much as possible, because it is the only one we get. Communism isn't a system that allows you to get maximum enjoyment out of your life.

I've never equated Atheism with communism o_O

• umwut?

Communism isn't a threat as much as simply not believing in god is.

People of faith don't trust atheists because they feel we are heathens who obviously believe in satan cos we don't believe in god.

It goes to show just how intolerant and uneducated many xians are (or were).

Yes, but it's ironic, given that communism, like religion, was accepted as truth without any supporting evidence.

I don't equate atheism with communism even though all of them where atheists. And i don't distrust them either. To me all atheists are, are people with a different point of view. They are welcome to there's as i am welcome to mine end of story.

• Obilee

it's kinda stupid tying atheism to communism in the first place.the ppl who think bad of atheists cause of that don't really need to be heard....

You tell me, because you seem t have all the facts on the subject. I'm listening.

I distrust atheism because of its stupidity.

"The fool has said in his heart there is no God"