I have a friend, who has a friend who we believe is gay. She thinks it would be wrong to just ask him-?

I say just ask- what's the best way to find out and still be tactful?

Favorite Answer

Well, if you also know this person then you could ask some leading type questions. It is not guaranteed to get you answers but it may reveal some more information. I know there are certain shows, movies, songs that my gay guy friends are into (Madonna, queer as folk, Cher, will and grace....) again, no guarantees, but it's worth a shot. ask some tactful questions about these subjects and see where the conversation goes. Personally I think the don't ask, don't tell philosophy is highly overrated. If your friend wants to know- ASK.

Don't ask.

If you don't care either way and will be his friend regardless, then why make that an issue. When he is ready to bring that into the conversation, he will. I think it should not matter.

just ask but with tact

The "If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it's a duck" principal should be good enough.

Don't bother asking. When he is ready, he will share that with you.

If they want you to know, they'll tell you.